Saturday, March 27, 2004

Laughter

Alright, I want everyone to leave laughter alone


Being able to see the humor in something is not an evil worthy of social punishment. In fact being able to laugh at ourselves is probably one of the most important aspects to mental and physical health a person may have.

I have made it my life to find the humor in life so that I could laugh. Guess what? inspite of a family history of heart disease I; at the age of 45, still do not require medical attention for my heart.

I know this for a fact because recently I did go to the emergency room for an episode concerning a pinched nerve in my neck and the dumb emergency room doctor checked me out for everyhing under the sun but my what I was complaining about. Talk about gettin on my nerves.

Here are the things that I know that I don't have. Aneurysm(that is no ballooned out blood vessels), high blood pressure
clogged arteries, liver . I did not have a stroke.
I was not on drugs(tox scan was clean). And those are the things that I can remember off the top of my head.

In my life I have only one constant. Laughter. Laughing at my self a lot.

Finally I figure if I make a joke at myself and another person doesn't laugh( I give the world permission to laugh at me when I make a joke about myself) I figure that they may have a problem. And you know what? I'm not gonna make their problem mine.

I have a story along this line.
I am a heating and air technician. I like my job and I'm pretty good at it. Well one day I just finished a major repair on a customers central A/C and was double checking my work in preparation for returning power to the circuit. When I was in the Airforce we had a little joke about starting up a unit. When we presumed that we were ready we would yell out Spark test! That was our signal for everyone to take their hands off the unit just in case something went wrong so they wouldn't get shocked or electrocuted. Well about the time I was ready to throw the breaker on when the customer came in to check on the progress-I said spark test, and flipped the breaker. FLASH! Big spark and the breaker tripped. Of course the homeowner had as shocked a look on his face as I did. I mumbled to my self that that is not what I was talking about when I said spark test. Just about then I looked at the customer and saw the look on his-face I laughed. The customer wasn't impressed. I laughed again because of what the guy might be thinking.. The customer got a strange kindof concerned look on his face. I laughed some more. The customer left me alone. I wonder why?
I quickly found the problem; a wire had slipped off it's terminal and grounded out against the case. No biggie. I replaced the terminal , restarted the unit and checked it while operating-job finished. The man paid his bill. But I got the distinct feeling that he thought I was nuts.
I got in my van and left laughing.
I'm still laughing about that one, and I don't mind telling anybody else this story either.

Laughter is good medicine. When we laugh we release enzymes into our blood stream that cause us to relax. Don't ask for the studies because I read this back in the 80's and that Readers Digest is long gone, but I believe it because that would explain the wilted mushy feeling we get when we laugh.
Also I seem to be clearer headed and feel kinda high. Oh those delicious hormones. If druggies only knew that I get for free what they pay dearly for.
So if people don't want to laugh ok I bet they lose 30 years off their lives. Not my problem........Theirs.

One final thing HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

No comments: